autoconf-archive-maintainers

Re: user upgrade path for renamed macros

From: Peter Simons
Subject: Re: user upgrade path for renamed macros
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2009 11:16:39 +0200

Hi Reuben,

 > BTW, I note that my previous forwarded reply doesn't address how to
 > change the old macros so that users notice they've been renamed. I'll
 > ask.

Did the Autoconf guys offer any advice on that matter?

 > I've pushed a new rename commit with the AU_ALIAS calls in the new
 > rather than the old files.

Very cool, thank you! With those AU_ALIAS forwarders in place, there
seems to be no more reason to keep the obsolete macros around, is there?
Will "aclocal --install" recognize the aliased names? I'll probably have
to try that out. Anyway, if that works, then I think we delete the old
files right now. That would be nice!

BTW, I noticed that all the examples define the proper macro first and
the alias second, like this:

 AC_DEFUN([AC_CHECK_HEADERS], [...])
 AU_ALIAS([AC_HAVE_HEADERS], [AC_CHECK_HEADERS])

Our files do that the other way round. That's no problem, right?
Autoconf doesn't care about the order in which those macros are defined,
does it?

Take care,
Peter