autoconf-archive-maintainers

Re: user upgrade path for renamed macros

From: Reuben Thomas
Subject: Re: user upgrade path for renamed macros
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2009 13:33:35 +0100

2009/8/15 Peter Simons <address@hidden>:
> Hi Reuben,
>
>  > BTW, I note that my previous forwarded reply doesn't address how to
>  > change the old macros so that users notice they've been renamed. I'll
>  > ask.
>
> Did the Autoconf guys offer any advice on that matter?

No.

> BTW, I noticed that all the examples define the proper macro first and
> the alias second, like this:
>
>  AC_DEFUN([AC_CHECK_HEADERS], [...])
>  AU_ALIAS([AC_HAVE_HEADERS], [AC_CHECK_HEADERS])

It was both easier to program and easier to read the way I did it (a
casual reader is unlikely to notice an alias at the end of a long
definition), and since m4 is a macro expansion language (one step
better than an untyped scripting language for defining things in any
damn order you please!), I didn't foresee any problems...

We'll find out pretty quickly if it goes wrong.

--
http://rrt.sc3d.org
Radiance is the appeasement of myth (Adorno)