autoconf-archive-maintainers

Re: user upgrade path for renamed macros

From: Filippo Giunchedi
Subject: Re: user upgrade path for renamed macros
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 22:44:20 +0100

On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 10:04:17PM +0100, Filippo Giunchedi wrote:
> A nice side effect of this is that then aclocal --install will be willing to
> install new file, IOW that's what should happen:
>
> $ aclocal -I m4 -I latest_aa --install
> # old file is copied into m4 (including AU_ALIAS([oldname],[newname])
> $ autoupdate
> # calls to oldname are replaced by newname
> $ aclocal -I m4 -I latest_aa --install
> # new file is copied into m4, epic win

On top of this as I previously noted there's the fact that autoconf -Wobsolete
doesn't complain about the old macro.
However autoconf _can_ be made to complain by adding a third parameter to old
file AC_DEFUN call, this seems undocumented (I haven't looked at the source)
however and I'm not sure if it should be used but it would be nice to have to
further smooth the transition.

(last note: I have not investigated much the AU_DEFUN([old name], [new name],
[message]) approach if someone would like to try)

filippo
--
Filippo Giunchedi - http://esaurito.net - 0x6B79D401

Networking -- only one letter away from not working
-- Unknown