autoconf-archive-maintainers

Renaming proposal

From: Reuben Thomas
Subject: Renaming proposal
Date: Sun, 2 Aug 2009 16:22:38 +0200

2009/8/2 Dustin J. Mitchell <address@hidden>:
> I agree, but on the other hand this provides a good time to break the
> API.  If we rename AC_BROKEN_MACRO to AX_BROKEN_MACRO now, then all of
> our users of that macro will notice the change because their builds
> will break, change the "C" to "X", and go on their way.  Then, later,
> when we fix the broken macro, changing its interface (see my earlier
> comments about AC_PROG_SWIG), their builds will not (necessarily)
> break, leading to surprises when users of *their* package encounter
> build problems.

Well, it's better navigation now vs some indeterminate amount of less
bitten users at some point in the future. If a reasonable list of
"broken" macros could be drawn up, then they could not be renamed for
now. This is only really worth it if they're going to be rewritten
fairly quickly.

--
http://rrt.sc3d.org
Music is sweetest when it almost stops