autoconf-archive-maintainers

Re: Renaming proposal

From: Reuben Thomas
Subject: Re: Renaming proposal
Date: Sun, 2 Aug 2009 08:45:20 +0200

2009/8/2 Dustin J. Mitchell <address@hidden>:
> This is a big change that will break lots of backward compatibility --
> unless I've missed something?

That's right. Is that a problem? It's not something that can bite
anyone except from the point of view of finding an updated version of
a macro they already use, and even that is pretty trivial. Again, as a
maintenance problem, few affected macros will be used more than once
per project. This is just not the same as a typical API breakage.

> I think that instead of renaming, we should seize the opportunity to
> write *better* AX_xx versions, and deprecate those with incorrect
> names with some date for their removal.  The aatool can help with such
> deprecation.

I'd rather not keep the old versions around, as without removing them
the macros are not made easier to navigate.

--
http://rrt.sc3d.org
Psalms 19:12: tagline for the guilty