autoconf-archive-maintainers

Re: Small repository problems

From: Peter Simons
Subject: Re: Small repository problems
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 17:42:44 +0200

Hi Dustin,

 > Why the submodule?  Why not just a subdirectory?

The current setup exists mostly, because the m4 files cannot be moved
into a subdirectory without breaking the version history. I kinda like
the fact that it's trivial for everyone to see every macro's change
history in Gitweb. For example:

http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=autoconf-archive.git;a=history;f=ac_prog_xsltproc.m4

If ac_prog_xsltproc.m4 were to be renamed to m4/ac_prog_xsltproc.m4,
then Gitweb would treat it like a new file; the history page wouldn't
show the earlier commits anymore.

Basically, I use the submodule as a way to make the contents of 'master'
appear in m4/ without actually renaming the files.

Anyway, I don't feel strongly about this subject; it is true that the
submodule causes the entire workflow to be a little awkward. Does anyone
have an alternative suggestion how to organize the repository? What do
you think we should do?

Take care,
Peter