autoconf-archive-maintainers

Re: Serial lines for Automake

From: Francesco Salvestrini
Subject: Re: Serial lines for Automake
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2009 12:53:17 +0200

Hi Dustin,

On Saturday 18 July 2009, Dustin J. Mitchell wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 18, 2009 at 2:38 PM, Filippo Giunchedi<address@hidden>
wrote:
> > what about going with the git hooks but the other way round:
> >
> > If the macro expansion has changed (modulo comments) then the commit must
> > also increment the serial number?
> > This hook obviously has to be effective only on the authoritative repo
> > (i.e. the one on savannah)
>
> FWIW, I don't think this is a good place to depend on git -- there are
> circumstances ("oops, I misspelled AX_MSG_WARN!") where you would want
> to make a new commit without incrementing the serial, and a git hook
> is just going to get in the way.
>
> Dustin

Yes and that's true in both ways: git-log+grep or hooks approach. We need a
way to prevent the increment if it is automatically computed.

A text file containing versions and a local procedure to detect if a macro
must be incremented could solve the problem maybe.

I'm not sure if gnulib and automake people manually increments their serials.
I need to check that ...

Best regards,
Francesco