autoconf-archive-maintainers

Re: [autoconf-archive-maintainers] Serial lines for Automake

From: Francesco Salvestrini
Subject: Re: [autoconf-archive-maintainers] Serial lines for Automake
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 18:46:46 +0200

Hi,

On Friday 17 July 2009, Peter Simons wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Francesco brought up the subject of serial lines:
>  > "aclocal serial lines" (eg sect. 6.3.5 - automake1.10 info).
>
> Apparently, the idea is to add a version number in front of each macro:
>
>      # serial 1
>      AC_DEFUN([AX_THIRD_PARTY], [...])
>
> Git offers an easy way to determine a unique serial number: the number
> of commits that modified the macro. ACX_PTHREAD, for example, is at
> version 5:
>
>   git log acx_pthread.m4 | egrep -c "^commit [0-9af]+"
>   5
>
> Maybe those #serial lines could be generated and added automatically to
> each m4 file when compiling the distribution archive?

Yes, you got my point.

The serial line should appear in the file before any macro definition. In
order to keep things simple we should put the serial line as first line in
the file.

A git-pourcelain/git-hook approach could avoid running git-log + grep over
more than 500 macros on each dist target run (the count get worse if the dist
target fails ...).

We will need to keep the numbering scheme coherent, once it is stable: we
shouldn't decrease a macro serial once it has been released ... we could lead
into user related problems otherwise.

Thus a change in the scheme means bumping all serial numbers.

I think also that we must confine such changes (and the forthcoming ones, eg:
namespace cleanup, obsolescence) in a different branch, in order to keep the
mess bounded until the repository is stable again.

Best regards,
Francesco

--
Boy, that crayon sure did hurt!