autoconf-archive-maintainers

Re: Serial lines for Automake

From: Filippo Giunchedi
Subject: Re: Serial lines for Automake
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2009 20:38:17 +0200

On Sat, Jul 18, 2009 at 07:36:04PM +0200, Francesco Salvestrini wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>
> On Saturday 18 July 2009, Peter Simons wrote:
> > Hi Francesco,
> >
> >  > [commit hook validation]
> >
> > thank you for the explanation. This sounds to me like the #serial lines
> > would be added to the m4 files in the Git repository, but we'd use Git
> > to guarantee that the serial numbers are bumped every time a macro is
> > committed to. Is that right?
>
> Yes, but I'm going to takeback that approach. It couldn't work easily in our
> current model.
>
> We must ensure that the distribution serial numbers are the same, regardless
> of the repository used for building the distribution.

what about going with the git hooks but the other way round:

If the macro expansion has changed (modulo comments) then the commit must also
increment the serial number?
This hook obviously has to be effective only on the authoritative repo (i.e. the
one on savannah)

filippo
--
Filippo Giunchedi - http://esaurito.net - 0x6B79D401