Re: [AUCTeX] preview files conflicting

From: Arash Esbati
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] preview files conflicting
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2017 10:57:12 +0100

Carlos <address@hidden> writes:

> Arash Esbati <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>> I'm not sure if I understood your question/problem correctly, so let me
>> restate it: Running configure script for AUCTeX installs LaTeX related
>> files for Preview in a way that your TeXlive gets upset.  If this is
>> correct, you can
>
> That is correct:
>
> usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/preview/prauctex.cfg
> usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/preview/prauctex.def
> usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/preview/prcounters.def
> usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/preview/preview.sty
> usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/preview/prfootnotes.def
> usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/preview/prlyx.def
> usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/preview/prshowbox.def
> usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/preview/prshowlabels.def
> usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/preview/prtightpage.def
> usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/preview/prtracingall.def
>
> conflict with TeXLive
>
>> a) Tell configure to install the files into your local texmf or home
>>    texmf tree (depending on your preference).  You can pass the value to
>>    configure with something like (untested):
>>
>>    ./configure --other-opts \
>>      --with-texmf-dir=`kpsewhich -expand-var='$TEXMFLOCAL'`
>>    or
>>
>>   ./configure --other-opts \
>>     --with-texmf-dir=`kpsewhich -expand-var='$TEXMFHOME'`
>
> I just don't see how this will resolve it.

Open bash, enter

    kpsewhich -expand-var='$TEXMFLOCAL'

and you will find out where your local-texmf resides.  If you pass that
directory to configure, it will install preview files under that
directory.  Ideally, you will have something like this:

usr/share/local-texmf/tex/latex/preview/prauctex.cfg
usr/share/local-texmf/tex/latex/preview/prauctex.def
usr/share/local-texmf/tex/latex/preview/prcounters.def
usr/share/local-texmf/tex/latex/preview/preview.sty
usr/share/local-texmf/tex/latex/preview/prfootnotes.def
usr/share/local-texmf/tex/latex/preview/prlyx.def
usr/share/local-texmf/tex/latex/preview/prshowbox.def
usr/share/local-texmf/tex/latex/preview/prshowlabels.def
usr/share/local-texmf/tex/latex/preview/prtightpage.def
usr/share/local-texmf/tex/latex/preview/prtracingall.def

Now you can install `texlive-latexextra' and other optional texlive
packages as they do not write into local-texmf directory (hopefully).

> In the current state, TeXlive must be installed first, then
> AucTeX. The files provided by the latter are already in the system.

That's different question.  The first one was that AUCTeX installs files
into texmf-dist directory and that interferes with a later installation
of `texlive-latexextra'.

Best, Arash