Re: [AUCTeX] preview files conflicting

From: Carlos
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] preview files conflicting
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2017 19:43:21 -0500

Arash Esbati <address@hidden> writes:

> Open bash, enter
>
>     kpsewhich -expand-var='$TEXMFLOCAL'

kpsewhich --var-value 'TEXMFLOCAL'

/usr/local/share/texmf:/usr/share/texmf

> and you will find out where your local-texmf resides.  If you pass that
> directory to configure, it will install preview files under that
> directory.  Ideally, you will have something like this:
>
> usr/share/local-texmf/tex/latex/preview/prauctex.cfg
> usr/share/local-texmf/tex/latex/preview/prauctex.def
> usr/share/local-texmf/tex/latex/preview/prcounters.def
> usr/share/local-texmf/tex/latex/preview/preview.sty
> usr/share/local-texmf/tex/latex/preview/prfootnotes.def
> usr/share/local-texmf/tex/latex/preview/prlyx.def
> usr/share/local-texmf/tex/latex/preview/prshowbox.def
> usr/share/local-texmf/tex/latex/preview/prshowlabels.def
> usr/share/local-texmf/tex/latex/preview/prtightpage.def
> usr/share/local-texmf/tex/latex/preview/prtracingall.def
>
> Now you can install `texlive-latexextra' and other optional texlive
> packages as they do not write into local-texmf directory (hopefully).
>
>> In the current state, TeXlive must be installed first, then
>> AucTeX. The files provided by the latter are already in the system.
>
> That's different question.  The first one was that AUCTeX installs files
> into texmf-dist directory and that interferes with a later installation
> of `texlive-latexextra'.

Arash, maybe I didn't state it clear enough. Let me go over the steps I
followed. (Keep in mind I had never installed TeXLive that way)

1- Installed texlive-core, texlive-bin, texlive-bibextra
2- Installed AUCTeX the ol' fashion way, with configure, make, and make
install (the same way I have done it in the past)
3- I realized I needed texlive-latexextra (I think I was missing
libertine)
4- While installing texlive-latexextra, it warned about 'conflicting
files'

Step four (4) in which the warning came up, was similar than what the user
went through at

The only difference between the user's files above, and my files, was
AUCTeX. The user installed his/her installation of AUCTeX using
'auctex-git' (precompiled AUCTeX for the distro), while I git cloned
AUCTeX from savannah.

5- cd <auctex-dir>
6- on bash $ make uninstall
7- make uninstall removed prauctex.cfg among other files
8- Successfully installed texlive-latexextra (without the warnings of
course)
9- Reinstalled AUCTeX (configure, make, make install...no flags, options
used)

My question is why was AUCTeX the owner of the files on that directory,
why did it write the files in the first place, when texlive-latexextra
will install the same files afterwards.

That's the issue I'm having problems with, to fully understand.

> Best, Arash

You too Arash. Take care.