[AUCTeX] preview files conflicting

From: Carlos
Subject: [AUCTeX] preview files conflicting
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2017 19:03:35 -0500

In the past I have configured compiled and installed manually - so to speak -
the aucTeX files. TeX on the other hand, has followed the procedures from
texlive.

One of the GNU/Linux systems gave me a few problems, so I decided altogether to
take a different approach and start from scratch. Not that in itself it would
guarantee a problem-free, bugged-clean environment, but it gives me a pause to
trace where the malfunctions occurs or my won mistakes cause havoc

Anyhow.

During the process of installing TeX in one of the old systems I have, I had
specified texlive-latexextra, (a precompiled distro's own package which is part
of TeXLive nonetheless) so this system had no problem whatsoever with a
consequent installation of aucTeX afterwards.

On the other system, things were not as smooth, and everything proved to be an
inconvenience.

Which reproduced the following problem as it was posted years ago by this user
at

The only difference was the AucTeX installation. Whereas the user installed the
pre-compiled auctex package, I on the other hand, went the ol' route and
configured, made and installed everything. The results however, and not
surprisingly were identical.

The only question that stands is the following:

What is the beautiful, incomparable rationale in not only including those files
form preview on TeX, but also on auctex itself.

This is not a chicken or the egg question, but I can't assume that I have to
have the two.

Why is it included in TeX may not the best question, but why preview itself is
included in Auctex is. . . .

Without the former the latter is useless.

The conflict of files is the 'right' way - so to speak - and not what causes
it, I think.

Have a good one guys.