Re: [AUCTeX] preview files conflicting

From: Carlos
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] preview files conflicting
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2017 02:21:48 -0500

Arash Esbati <address@hidden> writes:

> Carlos <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Which reproduced the following problem as it was posted years ago by
>> this user at
>>
>> https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=173306
>>
>> The only difference was the AucTeX installation. Whereas the user
>> installed the pre-compiled auctex package, I on the other hand, went
>> the ol' route and configured, made and installed everything. The
>> results however, and not surprisingly were identical.
>
> I'm not sure if I understood your question/problem correctly, so let me
> restate it: Running configure script for AUCTeX installs LaTeX related
> files for Preview in a way that your TeXlive gets upset.  If this is
> correct, you can

That is correct:

usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/preview/prauctex.cfg
usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/preview/prauctex.def
usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/preview/prcounters.def
usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/preview/preview.sty
usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/preview/prfootnotes.def
usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/preview/prlyx.def
usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/preview/prshowbox.def
usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/preview/prshowlabels.def
usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/preview/prtightpage.def
usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/preview/prtracingall.def

conflict with TeXLive

> a) Tell configure to install the files into your local texmf or home
>    texmf tree (depending on your preference).  You can pass the value to
>    configure with something like (untested):
>
>    ./configure --other-opts \
>      --with-texmf-dir=`kpsewhich -expand-var='$TEXMFLOCAL'`
>    or
>
>   ./configure --other-opts \
>     --with-texmf-dir=`kpsewhich -expand-var='$TEXMFHOME'`
>
> b) Gain even more controll by setting
>
>    --with-tex-dir=/dir
>
>    If you want to specify an exact directory for the preview TeX files,
>    use --with-tex-dir=/dir.  In this case, the files will be placed in
>    `/dir', and you’ll also need the following option:
>
>   --with-doc-dir=/dir
>
>    This option may be used to specify where the TeX documentation goes.
>    It is to be used when you are using --with-tex-dir=/dir, but is
>    normally not necessary otherwise.
>
> I used method b) for a long time to install AUCTeX.

I just don't see how this will resolve it.

In the current state, TeXlive must be installed first, then AucTeX. The
files provided by the latter are already in the system.

> Best, Arash

You too Arash. Take care.