Re: [AUCTeX] TeX-next-error window resizing

From: Fabio Leimgruber
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] TeX-next-error window resizing
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 23:15:32 +0100

Ralf Angeli wrote:
> * FabioL (2010-02-11) writes:
>

>> I want to have a 'compilation' window for AUCTeX. Ideally it should update
>> itself and jump to error messages when I compile with C-c C-c. I tried to
>> approximate to this behaviour by setting the variable window-size-fixed to
>> value 'height'. This *should* fix the height, but on every C-c `
>> (TeX-next-error), this window gets resized to half the frame size - very
>> annoying.
>>

> It works if you display the output buffer in a separate window, resize
> the window and then set `window-size-fixed' with point in the window of
> the LaTeX file.

Yeah, that works... thanks!
>> Why is there no facility for this in AUCTeX - or is there any? Doc does not
>> mention it...
>>

> There is `TeX-show-compilation' but that does not influence the size of
> the window.  I guess nobody has thought it would be worthwhile to keep
> the output window open all the time and waste the space it occupies.
> (But by that logic it should probably be easier to get rid of the window
> again.)

This variable is not helpful for me.

The reason I came upon this issue is that during heavy lifting, i.e.
checking out new packages and playing with options and combos, I find
myself very often in the situation to press C-c ` after literally every
LaTeX-run. This is annoying me. I want to have an output of compilation
the moment I issue the compile command.

One further question though. What is the best approach to scroll the
output window (compilation window for ecb) to a certain line number.
Specifically, when in the source buffer window I want to run LaTeX and
scroll the compilation window (i.e. other-window in this case) to
end-of-buffer 'minus' 20 lines (meaning upwards from end-of-buffer).

Any suggestions? Any better ways? Thanks in advance

--FL