Re: [AUCTeX-devel] This ascender bug in dvipng mode...

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] This ascender bug in dvipng mode...
Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2005 19:44:59 +0200

Jan-Åke Larsson <address@hidden> writes:

> Jan-Åke Larsson wrote:
>> The down side of reverting the change is that some included EPSes will
>> not work again...
>
> In gs mode, of course. This was never a problem in dvipng.
>
>> May I suggest a new release of dvipng instead? An additional string
>> match _and_ a new option value added?

So what is the string that you match with?  The complete special,
front to back?  In that case, I might call this choice imprudent, but
then it is not exactly fast that I noticed this...  You might have
said something to that effect, and I might just not have said anything
before I forgot it again.

> But the offer still stands.

Sure.  We should do what it takes to get new releases of both dvipng
as well as preview.dtx to play nice with as large a history of the
other as possible.  This cuts both ways.

If you indeed match the complete special, front to back,
well...  Perhaps then I should do two PostScript specials.  The first
one doing all of the work, and then skipping over the second one.  And
the second one being the old special...

This would be one heck of a brutal hack, but reasonably easy to do.
And we would remove it once Dvipng 1.5 is no longer widespread.