Re: [AUCTeX-devel] This ascender bug in dvipng mode...

From: Jan-Åke Larsson
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] This ascender bug in dvipng mode...
Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2005 16:16:57 +0200

David Kastrup wrote:
I now take care that the tightpage special does not show a negative
depth.  This should make sure that superscripts like $^1$ get
displayed properly.  It doesn't.  For some reason, the tightpage lower
edge, in spite of being 0, does not get registered by dvipng.  dvipng
still orients itself at the lower edge of the glyph.

I knew I should have looked into this more thouroghly. I coded the
tightpage code in dvipng to do exactly the same thing as your Postscript
snippet, so it does do everything you want. You can just as well revert
that last change, sorry for that extra work. The _real_ problem is that
'tightpage' is identified by looking at the postscript header at the
beginning of the DVI and that changed in revision 1.65 of preview.dtx
(before 0.7.3) with the innocent-looking log entry "Code cosmetics". In
a preview-latex run there is now an ignored PS header in the DVI and no
message "Preview-latex tightpage option detected". dvipng simply reverts
to the default behaviour.

Since this code may change again, may I suggest a -T tightpage option to
dvipng?
/JÅ