[AUCTeX-devel] Re: Suggested feature...

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: Suggested feature...
Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2005 16:37:58 +0200

* David Kastrup (2005-04-03) writes:

> This means that AUCTeX would need to have an idea about what commands
> are preamble-only.  This can be automatically guessed when parsing,
> since such commands usually are marked with
>
> address@hidden
>
> and similar.

The more such reqirements for features pop up, the more I get the
impression it would be a good idea to build some sort of macro
database for the various modes.  One entry would carry information
about

  * the command name,

  * the insertion mechanism (optional and mandatory arguments,
    functions to be called, where to leave point; basically what we
    have now),

  * structure of the macro (e.g. "[{{"; maybe somehow encoded in the
    insertion mechanism but should be easily accessible by folding and
    fontification code),

  * faces to be applied by fontification (font-latex currently is only
    able to fontify three parts of a macro, the macro name, optional
    arguments and mandatory arguments; and all of these have to be
    adjacent.  So you cannot have \magenta[orange]{blue}[yellow]{green}.
    But this might change in the future.),

  * the requirement for the command to be inserted in the preamble and

  * a description of the macro in the sense of a macro reference
    (unless we can generate this info from some external source, this
    would be a hell to maintain).

Just some thoughts ...

--
Ralf