ac-archive-maintainers

Re: License notices

From: Bastiaan Veelo
Subject: Re: License notices
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 17:49:51 +0100

Peter Simons wrote:

Bastiaan Veelo writes:

> It appears I was not the only one to have misunderstood
> you on this point, and I hope you understand what the
> commotion was about.

Well, no. I don't understand what the commotion was about. I
was doing exactly what people have been asking for, and all
the while the same people were shouting at me that
everything I did was crap.

But we did not understand you. It looked as if you would not hear what we asked for, and we did not see where you are heading. That caused the commotion.

I hope you can understand my point of view too. As the one
actually _doing_ the work instead of just having lofty
discussion on the public mailing list, this was a bizarre
experience, and I sure learned my lesson from it.

Sure I can understand your point of view, now that we have cleared that misunderstanding. And I do see your hard work (and that of others) and appreciate it.

> I fear the cause of the misunderstanding is that you
> never explained the procedure in this detail before
> [...].

You are probably right. I simply wouldn't have thought that
I needed to explain myself. I thought that in my spare time
I could do whatever I wanted. I wasn't aware that there are
"contributors" who feel they have a right to make demands at
me, and get real angry when I don't do exactly what they
want.

Sigh. If you don't want any help or input from others, you can say so and do whatever you want. If you accept help, care for the needs of your users (which I think you do) and want to make collaboration a success, good communication in both directions is a prerequisite. I have seen nobody getting real angry because you did not do what somebody wants. I have seen a lot of steam though, because of poor communication.

We need to loose the steam and communicate our actions, as long as there is more than one person acting. And for communication to work, I think we could step down a little on the number of flame baits in our posts, most of us. Please, be nice, everybody!

:-)
Bastiaan.