ac-archive-maintainers

Re: Tango

From: Peter Simons
Subject: Re: Tango
Date: 26 Jan 2005 15:10:51 +0100

Tom Howard writes:

 > You know that Guido syncs from your cvs to try both
 > archives in sync.

That's bullshit, Tom. Guido copies the contents of my CVS
repository into his own because I spend a lot of time
maintaining the contents, not because he is trying to
fulfill some greater ideal of "keeping the archives in
synch".

Or please explain why none of the macros he has gotten
submitted to his private e-mail address ever showed up on
gnu.org even though he has CVS commit rights here?

How does that constitute "keeping in synch"?

 > You know that the licence information has only just
 > changed.

Of course I know, because I did the work. All the while some
other people were just having lofty discussions and making
grand speeches about "what the archives needs". And it
pisses me off that the very same people will now copy the
result of my efforts and bad-mouth the GNU archive at the
same time.

It is perfectly valid according to the license, but it
doesn't mean I have to feel great respect for the people who
do it.

 > What makes you think that once things are fixed the
 > licensing information wont be synced as well?

Oh, actually I am damn sure that once Guido has managed to
customize his scripts to the sweeping changes, then sf.net
will be copying the macros from gnu.org again. I never
doubted that.

But here is the good news: I've cooked up a
"synchronization mechanism" for sf.net too. Which means,
that anything that shows up on that site will show up on
gnu.org a day later.

Because of that the archives _are_ unified now. sf.net
copies from gnu.org and gnu.org copies from sf.net. So that
question is solved. And the best thing is that I didn't need
to kiss anyone's ass to get it done. Pretty cool, eh?

 > At no point does it come across that Guido is trying to
 > take credit for other peoples work [...].

Good to know.

 > I have no problem with you disagreeing with my ideas or
 > those of others around here, but yesterday you attached
 > me personally and now today you do the same to Guido.
 > This is not acceptable behaviour.

Check out this page: <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypocrite>.

Peter