ac-archive-maintainers

License notices (was: Re: News about the macro archive)

From: Bastiaan Veelo
Subject: License notices (was: Re: News about the macro archive)
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 21:09:19 +0100

Hi!

Before replying to Peter, there is a very simple solution to the copyright and license notices issue, which is working to all satisfaction today. It involves an empty line between the documentation section and the legal info, as in

>dnl @category InstalledPackages
>dnl @author Bastiaan Veelo <address@hidden>
>dnl @version 2005-01-24
>dnl @license AllPermissive
>
>dnl Copyright (C) 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005, Bastiaan Veelo
>dnl Copying and distribution of this file, with or without modification,
>dnl are permitted in any medium without royalty provided the copyright
>dnl notice and this notice are preserved.
>
>dnl Calls BNV_PATH_QT_DIRECT (contained in this file) as a subroutine.
>AC_DEFUN([BNV_HAVE_QT],
>[

This way the legal info stays intact in the m4 source, and it appears in typewriter font in the HTML documentation, right before the macro definition. This is just right, because when cutting and pasting a macro from the webpage, the legal info is likely to follow with it. See this example is http://www.gnu.org/software/ac-archive/bnv_have_qt.html. There is no need to emphasize or otherwise marcup the legal info in the documentation.

IMHO the @license line is redundant and slightly misleading, but if it makes maintaining the archive more fun, so be it.

Peter Simons wrote:

Bastiaan Veelo writes:

>> @license AllPermissive

> If you are worried about duplication of the license, why
> not test for the text that Tom has been inserting?

Perhaps it's a cultural thing. Us Germans, you know, love
efficiency. It's in our genome. ;-)

:-) Oh, so you can't help it! ;-)
Of course I have no problem with efficiency (or German genes for that matter, my wife is from Germany too). But whether you like it or not, a file that does not contain a description in english text of what you can do with it, is non-free and you can not use it the way you want to (except for the files that you wrote yourself). It is against international law. It is a fact, I can't help it. There is no need to debate this, I am not looking for a fight.

So when I look at the
problem, I see this:

(1) "@license AllPermissive" is easier to insert correctly
    (so that it is recognized reliably) than a multi-line
    verbatim text license is.

So far I thought Tom has been inserting the license text, so why not let him decide what is easier?

(2) Once we know all @license tags are properly assigned, a
    tool can insert the multi-line, verbatim text
    automatically, and then it is _guaranteed_ that this
    text looks alike everywhere and that it can be
    recognized by software.

This is acceptable I think as long as it is in an intermediate stage, somewhere off-line, and files are equiped with a verbatim text before they go online.

(3) The tool will also handle "@license GPL2", "@license
    GPLWithACException", and "@license BSD" in the same
    run.

If you feel the need to check the exact wording of the license and a keyword makes this easier, we can have both a keyword and the license notice, like Guido suggested in his "foxtrot" mail:

@license [optional keyword]
   verbose text

(4) The tool will also add the proper "Copyright (c) <date>
    <author>" lines automatically, which is much harder to
    get right manually.

The copyright is owned by the macro author, so it is his/her worry. By the way, I think it is much harder to generate copyright notices automatically, because they should contain every year in which the file was modified nontrivially. I don't understand why you think getting a copyright notice right manually is hard.

All this tells me: Shit, why bother? Let the tool do it!

Let the tool do what? Generate copyright and license notices in HTML? That is okay if you can. Actually, I was wrong before to say we could do without that information on the webpage, because the macro source is displayed there too, so the legal info must be there too. But the most important is that the m4 _source_ is licensed! It is the source that is, well, the source.

For the tool to do its job correctly, the markup

 dnl @author Bastiaan Veelo <address@hidden>
 dnl @version 2005-01-15
 dnl @license AllPermissive

is just, well, better than

 dnl Copyright (C) 2005 by Bastiaan Veelo <address@hidden>.
 dnl Copying and distribution of this file, with or without
 dnl modification, are permitted in any medium without royalty
 dnl provided the copyright notice and this notice are preserved.

is. Compare with point (1).

I think it's pretty obvious actually. ;-)

See above.

> Every file _has to have_ a verbose license statement,
> original files as well as any generated files.

I guess this is the core of the problem, this shows where we
really disagree.

Correct.

I think it's perfectly irrelevant whether a
file has a verbose license statement or not.

So if it is irrelevant to you, please go with the verbose statement (at least in the m4 source).

Personally, I
think it's insane to say "I don't give a shit what you do
with this software",

Nobody says that, it is you who interpretes "@license AllPermissive" that way. Right?

and then to insert lines of lines of
redundant disclaimers that say "Yeah, I really don't care
what you do with this software. And under no circumstances
must you remove this statement so that everybody knows I
don't care. Go figure."

But everybody has to know that, otherwise they can not copy, change or distribute... Only the people on this list know that "@license AllPermissive" means this three-line license notice.

I think it's contradictory.

What is? To say it is free but not so free that you may strip the copyright and license? You may be right, but it is one of the pilars on which the GNU system and FSF stands.

I remember the times when thousands of programs where shared
and developed around the planet and all that anyone ever
cared about legalese was "This is in the public domain." and
that was it.

Excellent example! "This is in the public domain." A verbal english full sentence stating your rights. Strip that sentence or replace it by a keyword and what do you get? Something that is not in the public domain. Copyright protects works by default, and you have to soften this protection explicitly if so desired.

And this is how the archive was run for the
last six years. No file ever had a license disclaimer, but
that didn't keep people from submitting 300+ macros to it.
And it didn't keep any of you guys from contributing either.

I remember checking under which license the archive was distributed before I considered submitting my macro to you. I have read and adopted the GPL and exception back then. But I did not realise that a license notice should be present in the file to be correct. Luckily, we are fixing that now ;-) Anyway, my macro has /always/ had a copyright statement in it, although not at the top.

So you are wrong in assuming none of use ever cared before.

That's why I wonder what all the fuzz is about.

I hope it is clear now!
Could you please keep things working the way they work today and as described at the top of this mail? I am perfectly happy and have no other wishes :-)

Cheers,
Bastiaan.