ac-archive-maintainers

Re: Having the same contents on gnu.org and sf.net

From: Peter Simons
Subject: Re: Having the same contents on gnu.org and sf.net
Date: 20 Jan 2005 02:18:42 +0100

Guido Draheim writes:

 > Into additional subdirectories?

You can put them wherever you want in legacy/. I'd say, put
those that fit somewhere into the existing directories, and
create new subdirectories for everything else. Now that we
have @category, the location of the file in the directory
tree has become irrelevant for the formatting engine.

 > Do we have @category working on your formatting pipeline?

Yes. Valid categories as of now are:

  @category AutoMake
  @category C
  @category CrossCompilation
  @category C++
  @category Fortran
  @category InstalledPackages
  @category Java
  @category Misc
  @category Obsolete    -- still up to discussion

If there are better suggestions for the names, I am all
ears: we can have any number of synonyms. You can provide
more than one @category line per macro, if you like. The
same applies to synopsis and @author now:

  @synopsis foo(on)
  @synopsis foo(off)
  @author   Joe Doe <address@hidden>
  @author   Jane Doe

I am still torn about whether to try to recognize e-mail
addresses in @author and put them in <address></address> or
"mailto:"; markup. Any opinions anyone?

One last addition: @summary gives an (optional) one-line
description of what the macro does to show on the index
page:

  @summary Does gcc support -fweird-optimization?

Blockquotes have to be indented by one line, all other text
(which is not indented) is subject to word wrapping.

There is a strong indication that we'll need a @license tag.
Tom will add those to the macros as the replies come in --
and I'd like to use the opportunity to say that you have
been doing a _spectacular_ job, Tom. I would have never
thought the Autoconf Macro Archive would ever deliver
personalized e-mails to all contributors. Heck, we rock!
Thanks a lot for doing this. ;-)

Anyway, so far I know of:

  @license all-permissive
  @license gpl-with-ac-exception

None of that is implemented yet, though.

 > How do you handle per-person subdirectories a.k.a.
 > per-person experimental categories?

Creating a new category is a matter of seconds. If you need
anything, just use whatever identifier you think is best and
please post an e-mail here which gives a short description
of that category that I can use on the website.

I'll post an accurate description of the format ASAP. That
will hopefully evolve into something we can put on the
website as a "how to contribute" document.

Peter