ac-archive-maintainers

Re: Having the same contents on gnu.org and sf.net

From: Guido Draheim
Subject: Re: Having the same contents on gnu.org and sf.net
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 22:58:24 +0100

Peter Simons wrote:
> Guido Draheim writes:
>
>  >> Wouldn't it be beneficial if Guido's archive would
>  >> generate its presentation from the _same_ CVS repository
>  >> as gnu.org does?
>
>  > (a) killing the duplication would be nice but my systems
>  >     works by making a cvs snapshot with rpmbuild -ta *.tar.
>  >     How to get the gnu macros into the snapshot tar
>  >     then...
>
> I am sorry, but I don't understand the problem. Why is this
> difficult?

How to build the tarball. Currently, I can just cvs checkout,
then run `make` and point may browser to the local directory
to see what the website will look like. I can do a checkout
everywhere but for those areas where i do not have cvs access
(like some corporate environment) I can just take a cvs
snapshot, unpack the tarball, and do the same all over again,
even run `make install` or `make rpm` on the tarball wherever
that may be. Where is the tarball-in-my-pocket mode for the
gnu ac-archive? If it is there I can just add my patches on
top of it but more probably I'd just drop sfnet altogether.
I don't see a reason to maintain a second formatting pipeline,
IT IS - NOT - MY - FOCUS. What's the benefit in all those
intermediate stages - you want me to have a build dependency
on the gnu ac-archive and on the next corner you move all
the build processing again to your private corners, shuffling
directories around and trying a catch-up strategy on the world?
The best way to calm down my FUD is to show me your build system
allowing me to check how I can put my things in, how can I use
it offsite, and thus finally allowing me to drop sfnet. SHOW IT.