ac-archive-maintainers

Re: Autoconf and Automake macros.

From: Tom Howard
Subject: Re: Autoconf and Automake macros.
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 10:59:32 +1100

Hi Peter,

Peter Simons wrote:
> Tom Howard writes:
>
>  > I'll update the macro licence details based on responses
>  > from the authors (I've haven't sent it yet, but will
>  > soon).
>
> Great, thanks again for doing that. I'd suggest adding the
> keyword
>
>  @license all-permissive
>
> to those macros where the authors have agreed. Then we'll
> worry about the others later, okay?

Coolio.

>  > Also, do you mind if I add autotools to the project?
>  > Basically I want to use AX_CVS for some cvs shortcuts.
>
> I'd prefer the "ac-archive" tree in CVS to contain only
> macros, because I know that other people import the contents
> into their own projects, into their own repositories even. I
> wouldn't want them to get a build system where they expect
> pure m4 files. ;-)
>
> If you like, you could create a new tree with "cvs import".
> I dunno ... "autotools" maybe? Then that tree could import
> the "ac-archives" tree via CVSROOT/modules, so you'd get all
> the macros in an, say, "m4" subdirectory or when you
> check-out "autotools".
>
> Does that work for you?

That works for me though I'm not sure I can get cvs to play ball the way
I want.  If I can get cvs to put the ac-archive module as a subdir of
ac-archive-build, without having to move the files in ac-archive, then
it'll be cool.

The worst case scenario, would require creating the ac-archive-build
module, with a m4 (or similar subdir), move the existing code into that
dir and create an ac-archive module that just points to ac-archive-build/m4.

If you want to see how this works, have a peek at the cvs for
http://sserver.sf.net.  rcssproxy is part of rcsstools.  `cvs co
rcssproxy` just grabs the proxy, `cvs co rcsstools` grabs the proxy and
some other tools.

I'll let you know if I can get it to work without moving the current
files first.

Cheers,

--
Tom Howard