ac-archive-maintainers

Re: Autoconf and Automake macros.

From: Tom Howard
Subject: Re: Autoconf and Automake macros.
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2005 11:18:40 +1100

Hi Peter,

I've found a way of placing the entire contents of the macro in a m4 file. I'll be converting the macros to use this technique and sending you the resulting m4 files.

The technique I'm using involves using printf commands to place the automake rules into aminclude.am (which must be manually included in the Makefile.am). For instance, if I want to add the following rule

foo:    bar
        echo "foo bar"

I would place

printf "foo:\tbar\n\techo \"foo bar\"\n" >> aminclude.m4

in the m4 macro (aminclude.m4 will be removed at the beginning of each run of configure).

As you can imagine, some of the more complicated Makefile rules will be quite difficult to convert to this format, with the end result being very hard to maintain. Is there something in m4 that could help me with this process so I could do something like

I_DONT_KNOW_WHAT(MY_RULE, [
foo:    bar
        echo "foo bar"
])