ac-archive-maintainers

Re: Autoconf and Automake macros.

From: Peter Simons
Subject: Re: Autoconf and Automake macros.
Date: 14 Jan 2005 17:52:48 +0100

Tom Howard writes:

 > I've found a way of placing the entire contents of the
 > macro in a m4 file. I'll be converting the macros to use
 > this technique and sending you the resulting m4 files.

Very nifty! Thanks a lot. I've added a new section of
Automake macros which, essentially, is yours now. ;-)
<http://www.gnu.org/software/ac-archive/htmldoc/> should
show the new additions any minute now.

 > The technique I'm using involves using printf commands to
 > place the automake rules into aminclude.am (which must be
 > manually included in the Makefile.am). [...] Is there
 > something in m4 that could help me with this process so I
 > could do something like

 > I_DONT_KNOW_WHAT(MY_RULE, [
 > foo: bar
 >      echo "foo bar"
 > ])
 > printf "$MY_RULE" >> aminclude.m4

 > from with my m4 macros?

The only way I'd now to create files from within is to use
the 'syscmd' function to call cat(1) or echo(1). I'm not
sure this is what you wanted, though. I'm not exactly an m4
wizard either.

 > Here are the reworked automake macros I submitted last
 > year.

I made a few minor modifications in the documentation
sections to make the formatting come out alright. You might
want to check out the versions that are in the archive now
to see what I've done. (I can also send you a diff, if you
prefer.)

Anyway, I think those macros are pretty cool. Thanks a lot
going through all this effort, Tom, it is very much
appreciated!

Peter