yafray-devel

Re: [Yafray-devel] CVS connection timed out

From: Gustavo Pichorim Boiko
Subject: Re: [Yafray-devel] CVS connection timed out
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2007 13:16:35 -0300

Em Tuesday 02 October 2007 12:09:06 Alfredo de Greef escreveu:
> Hi,
>
> so the mailing list still works I see ;)

Today was the first day I saw a message on the mailing list, I was wondering
if I was properly subscribed :)

> It isn't really used anymore. Maybe Lynx is currently
> too busy, he is a student himself as far as I know.
>
> I'd still advise you both to work on yaf(a)ray, if for
> some reason you don't like that code, then I really
> can't imagine you liking the original yafray code,
> which is even messier and more convoluted in places.

Yes, this I have seen: I just don't like messed up codes (like mixing coding
styles, and line ending terminators), that's why I was going to work starting
from the original yafray.

> Some of the code was done by someone who has obviously
> no clue what he was doing. ;)

That sounds like my first steps on KDE programming some time ago :)

> Besides that, you might do work on some area of yafray
> that already was considerably improved in the new
> yafaray.
> Of course, that may not be the purpose if you are a
> student doing a thesis or something, I wouldn't know,
> never been a student myself.

Well, my research is a bit generic for now (mainly evaluating technics and
reading stuff), that's why I want to code on yafray. I don't want to
implement a raytracer from scratch, it is too waste of time considering
yafray is already good at that.

> Anyway, try posting on the yafray forums if you have't
> done so already, or otherwise try to send a PM to Lynx
> there. Maybe that will get his attention.
> I don't think he is a member of this (very old)
> mailing list, not sure though.

I have a serious problem for following up forums, I always miss some answers
and topics. I have tried to mail him privatelly, but got no answer.
I will try to contact him again before start doing anything.

Thanks for your follow-up comments :)

Cheers
--
Gustavo Pichorim Boiko