Re: [XBoard-devel] XBoard 4.7.3: Full board textures + maximize window

From: Sebastian Pipping
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] XBoard 4.7.3: Full board textures + maximize window
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2014 15:10:07 +0200

Hello!

On 16.09.2014 10:13, H.G. Muller wrote:

> Joshua Pettus schreef op 9/16/2014 1:06 AM:
>> I wonder if we can use a SVG board instead?
> This would work for an even board with a grid, but SVG is not really
> suitable for textures. As it is the code is completely specific for
> cutting out bitmaps, and cannot handle SVG. It is conceivable that we
> would equip it with a 'pre-processor' which would first render the SVG
> to a raster image of the exact full board size, and apply the existing
> cutting algortithm to that.

That pre-processor approach would lose much of the quality and advantage
of SVG.  When scaling the window, rather than showing a scaled bitmap
image a vector imaged should be rendered from vector to that resolution.

How about my original question?
What I ran into: Is that a bug or not?
Do we need a switch for "tile or board texture" or not?

Thanks,

Sebastian