Re: [XBoard-devel] XBoard 4.7.3: Full board textures + maximize window

From: H.G. Muller
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] XBoard 4.7.3: Full board textures + maximize window
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2014 23:58:48 +0200

Sebastian Pipping schreef op 9/16/2014 10:23 PM:
Hello again,

we're starting to run in circles.

I didn't say I'm against scaling: I'm concerned about
scaling-and-cutting for certain types of textures.  It might be just
fine, for western chess and single-field wood/marble textures, nothing
against that at all.

I just tried using a 1800x2000 Xiangqi board image as a texture for a
fullscreen window on a 1920x1080 display.  The result looks anything but
sane, so enlarging the board image does not seem to solve the rendering
problem.  Since you put so much of your energy into Xiangqi support with
*Board, I'm rather surprised that playing Xiangqi in fullscreen with a
Chinese board (like most people would) is not supported.

Giving users new smart options (what you proposed) rather than an option
to control directly, what they really want to change, is the wrong road
if you ask me.  With the amount of options in *Board as of today, I
don't see how adding one more would make any real difference.

So to me all this sounds like (1) you'd be happy to support infinitely
large boards made from enlarge-and-cut marble/wood single-field textures
and (2) you consider Xiangqi and fullscreen display corner cases.
While (1) is cool, status quo on Western chess doesn't to really /need/
patching now.  I came here for (2), which does need patching.

Best,

Sebastian