Re: [XBoard-devel] beta version

From: Tim Mann
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] beta version
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2009 19:57:32 -0700

On Tue, 14 Jul 2009 15:58:05 +0200, "h.g. muller" <address@hidden> wrote:
> IMO it is a real
> problem that XBoard does not remember any of its settings, although proper
> use of .Xdefaults (which I have no idea how to do as a non-Linux user) does
> solve most of that.

Yes, the save-settings stuff in WinBoard is much more user friendly
than xboard.  xboard has used the old-fashioned "X resource"
infrastructure (which gtk/gnome seems to have abandoned, btw) for
settings and command-line parsing since before I started working on
it.  Windows doesn't have that stuff, so I designed something new for
WinBoard that was pretty successful, but I never backported it to xboard
and broke away from the X resource stuff.  Maybe the gtk+ version is
the time to make that break and add save-settings support.

Alternatively, you could add save-settings support in the Xaw version
by saving the settings in a file called "~/XBoard", in X resource
format -- xboard will parse X resources from such a file.  That's kind
of intriguing because it keeps compatibility with the existing xboard
way of doing things.

--
Tim Mann  address@hidden  http://tim-mann.org/