Re: [XBoard-devel] beta version

From: Arun Persaud
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] beta version
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 09:04:39 -0700

Hi

> [startup script]

> Basically, the design of xboard is fine for computer literate, but poor
> for everyone else.  Linux on the desktop is beginning to take hold,
> though.  So at least considering ease of use for neophytes makes some
> sense.  This is more important with the GTK+ version than with this
> release, though.

I think with GTK+ we might want to use Gconf
(http://projects.gnome.org/gconf/) at one point which AFAIK will enable
XBoard to remember settings, etc. I think for 4.4.0 we could just leave
it as it is. Since 4.2.7 didn't have any of these either, people should
be ok with it... I rather have 4.4.0 as a version that incorporates the
merge and perhaps for 4.4.1 we can think of making it more
userfriendly... although I think it probably would be better for 4.4.1
to focus on backend stuff and do all the GUI improvement in 5.0.0. Else
we will end up modifying XBoard and Winboard a lot for 4.4.1 and then
have to redo everything again for 5.0.0, since changing to GTK+ will
bring some changes with it, both for XBoard and Winboard.

ARUN