www-he-editing

[Targnum-editing] Re: ZIP & other animals

From: the duke
Subject: [Targnum-editing] Re: ZIP & other animals
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2003 22:51:12 -0700

ZMan ZMan wrote:

the duke wrote:

ZMan ZMan wrote:

the duke wrote:

1) use tar.gz format, not Zip, as it is proprietary and deprecated by GNU. for tar.zg you can do it using cygwin, or any DOS port of gtar you can find.

nope.
i'm not gonna use cygwin even though i have it installed. (i won't even install WinACE or ala, even though it have .tgz support out of the box) i'm gonna use Zip as long as i'm on windos as i know that free (as both in freedom, and in free beer) implementations of it for free OSes do exist.

well, gnu deprecate the usage of prop. OSes at all, may they tell you to reject some of my translations because of this ?

you know that _Winzip_ is a _shareware_, it is not free. you don't seem to know that Lempel-Ziv is copyrighted. And you also don't seem to know that some GNU/Linux distributions might not include a zip utility. only a gzip utility. we don't use it to make Stallman happy, we use it to make the package accessible for as much people as possible. we prefer not using Zip like we prefer not using MS Doc format. I won't throw away translations that someone will send me in DOC format, but I will be forced to copy them to HTML without the DOC formatting, and reformat the whole document. That's a lot of work just like opening every ZIP you send and resend it as TAR.GZ, so that everyone can enjoy it.

It's about sharing, not about being a zealot.

i don't like using prop. software.
but i feel no shame making a temporal use of the like which have free & compatible counterparts, like zip <http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/tools/zip/info-zip/Zip.html>/unzip <http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/tools/zip/info-zip/UnZip.html>. (anyway on windos i only use WinRAR, but as RAR isn't free and has no open-source compressor (though it do have an open-source decompressor <http://www.rarlab.com/rar_add.htm>), i don't use RAR when i want full compatibility with others, but ZIP) i know not much about the LZ (c)opyright, but the fact is that there are free implementations of zip, maybe like lame for mp3... and as i'm not an advocate i don't have a clue about it's legality.

when i'm on linux, which is where i prefer to be, i use only or almost only free software (my ads-blocking software isn't free (...yet searching a free alternate for some time now), and so is my 56K modem driver (but as i'm on adsl since 04/2001, i don't install it, as i don't use it)).

i won't be caught sending a file in a prop. format, like M$ DOC (when it's worth reading of course... i'm not talking here about jokes ! ;)) - for any reason. because when i give something, i wish that it'd be useful to the recipient ! (whatever the conditions are at the one's side...)

which free implementations of ZIP do you know? (I'm talking of GPL or BSD style here, not shareware or freeware) I'd like to take a peek at their licenses. if I'm wrong, I'm willing to admit it, but I don't think I'm wrong...

anyway, this is what I found on some site dealing with zip copyrights. as far as I remember from GNU documents, that's really the case:

"Unisys claims a patent on LZW encoding and on LZW decoding _in an apparatus that performs LZW encoding_, but the patent appears to exempt a stand- alone decoder (as in UnZip's unshrink.c). Unisys has publicly claimed otherwise, but the issue has never been tested in court."

it's an unclear issue which might raise future problems. why insisting on the dangerous road when you have the safe and portable tar.gz around?