www-he-editing

[Targnum-editing] Re: reviewer comments

From: the duke
Subject: [Targnum-editing] Re: reviewer comments
Date: Sun, 06 Jul 2003 22:38:26 -0700

ZMan ZMan wrote:

the duke wrote:

Hi Moran
(This mail is also sent to the TarGNUm editors list for the skeletons.)

Here are my reviewer's comments on the manifesto , plus a skeleton for an aditor comments report, and a skeleton for reviewer's comments. these last two are needed so it will be easy to see the editing/reviewing details. these are first versions, if you think something should be added/changed, let me know.

two more comments:

1) use tar.gz format, not Zip, as it is proprietary and deprecated by GNU. for tar.zg you can do it using cygwin, or any DOS port of gtar you can find.

nope.
i'm not gonna use cygwin even though i have it installed. (i won't even install WinACE or ala, even though it have .tgz support out of the box) i'm gonna use Zip as long as i'm on windos as i know that free (as both in freedom, and in free beer) implementations of it for free OSes do exist.

well, gnu deprecate the usage of prop. OSes at all, may they tell you to reject some of my translations because of this ?

you know that _Winzip_ is a _shareware_, it is not free. you don't seem to know that Lempel-Ziv is copyrighted. And you also don't seem to know that some GNU/Linux distributions might not include a zip utility. only a gzip utility. we don't use it to make Stallman happy, we use it to make the package accessible for as much people as possible. we prefer not using Zip like we prefer not using MS Doc format. I won't throw away translations that someone will send me in DOC format, but I will be forced to copy them to HTML without the DOC formatting, and reformat the whole document. That's a lot of work just like opening every ZIP you send and resend it as TAR.GZ, so that everyone can enjoy it.

It's about sharing, not about being a zealot.

2) all fixes that the reviewer does (except for very basic typos) has to be written in the comments, so that if the editor doesn't agree with them he won't have to use them, since he can't find them. actually the reviewer doesn't have to fix the document, he can just write comments.

in case of consistant disagreement you can share the problem with others editors using the targnum-editing list (see the TarGNUm savannah page). in case that doesn't solve the problem, the coordinator can be asked to give the final decision (that's why there is a coordinator).

and that relates to... ?

Future reviewing standards. The reason it was sent to the editors list.

anyway i suggest using diff as a tool for *both* reviewers and editors, so they can show diff's output as the "log" of their work, what do you think ?

I agree, but I still have a problem with diffing Unicode.

-----
Notice that although the second comment below, I put online the reviewed version, since the changes I made has to do with standards, and those that have no standards, were only commented on, but not changed. in case you disagree with any of the changes, let me know, and we'll see if they should be undone.

Being also the translator eliminated comments on phrasing, so I would rather a third person to also do a review.

that's what i call a decent administration.
kudos ! :)

I do my best :)

That's all,
what's your next document? (preferably for editing, rather than translation)

hmm... should i just pick up what that's without an editor ?

Preferably. It will create less clashes and will make other editors more alert that one day their translations may be left the only ones not edited. In which case other editors will request them, which is quite a bummer for the original editor.

salut!
      the duke