ww-tedit-dev

Re: [ww-tedit-dev] WW under Cygwin

From: petar marinov
Subject: Re: [ww-tedit-dev] WW under Cygwin
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 22:57:03 -0800

Tzvetan Mikov wrote:

OK, here is another more trouble one for you - WW doesn't work under rxvt
either. rxvt is a standard part of Cygwin (if you haven't used it, it is a
replacement of Xterm, working both with X and Win32), so I feel that WW not
working with it is a sign of a problem in WW. I also feel that if we fix WW to
work under rxvt, it will have a much higher chance of working with "screens".

(MC runs fine under rxvt).

This is evidence enough that something in the way I call ncurses is not right. I know of one lingering problem and I think now is the moment to fix it. I will also add F8 to mark blocks, this way we will have usable package.

I wonder whether for the Unix crowd this will appear as consistency or as
anoyance. Ctrl-Z suspens most applications pretty consistenly. May be tha answer
is that everything should be remappable ?

The Unix crowd uses vi or emacs, both are entrenched and will not switch to anything different. It is most important to bring comfort to us and people like us who wish an editor that works on all the platforms with the same keybindings.

I don't think there is a big mistery about how screens works. I imagine it
redirects the standard input and output of applications and renders it either to
the screen or to a memory buffer.

There is quite a bit of information on the web site of "screen". I learned interesting stuff about terminals. There is even a mailing list. After my work to fix it for rxvt I will resort to it for support if it still doesn't work under "screen".

-petar