ww-tedit-dev

Re: [ww-tedit-dev] WW under Cygwin

From: Tzvetan Mikov
Subject: Re: [ww-tedit-dev] WW under Cygwin
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 18:47:17 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "petar marinov" To: "ww-tedit-dev" <address@hidden>
Sent: Sunday, March 14, 2004 11:50 AM

> WW compiles and works compiled for Cygwin. "screens" is not part of the
> cygwin distribution. Maybe it is not that standard, I'm speculating, of
> course. Maybe WW doesn't work under "screens" because it is incompatible
> with the process management keys -- ctrl+z, ctrl+d. I think WW can be
> fixed provided we find out how "screens" actually works.

OK, here is another more trouble one for you - WW doesn't work under rxvt
either. rxvt is a standard part of Cygwin (if you haven't used it, it is a
replacement of Xterm, working both with X and Win32), so I feel that WW not
working with it is a sign of a problem in WW. I also feel that if we fix WW to
work under rxvt, it will have a much higher chance of working with "screens".

(MC runs fine under rxvt).

> I think that we should preserve the keybinding consistencies across
> platforms by all means. Ctrl+z is undo and ctrl+shift+z is redo,
> furthermore ctrl+c is not cancel but is copy, etc. I think of adding
> Edit|Suspend command for example to provide the missing functionality. I
> will appreciate some help if discovering how this should work (maybe it
> is a signal, but whatever else you know would be helpful).

I wonder whether for the Unix crowd this will appear as consistency or as
anoyance. Ctrl-Z suspens most applications pretty consistenly. May be tha answer
is that everything should be remappable ?

> Again, this falls in the groups of problems which I can fix provided
> some help from you about finding how "screens" works.

I don't think there is a big mistery about how screens works. I imagine it
redirects the standard input and output of applications and renders it either to
the screen or to a memory buffer.

-tz