ww-tedit-dev

Re: [ww-tedit-dev] WW under Cygwin

From: petar marinov
Subject: Re: [ww-tedit-dev] WW under Cygwin
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 11:50:25 -0800

Tzvetan Mikov wrote:
The native Win32 application is no good under Cygwin, since it doesn't like to
run under tool like "screen", doesn't like to be suspended, etc.
So, I compiled WW under Cygwin and it actually compiles and runs!

WW compiles and works compiled for Cygwin. "screens" is not part of the cygwin distribution. Maybe it is not that standard, I'm speculating, of course. Maybe WW doesn't work under "screens" because it is incompatible with the process management keys -- ctrl+z, ctrl+d. I think WW can be fixed provided we find out how "screens" actually works.

The first thing to notice is that it can't be suspended with "Ctrl-Z" and can't
be aborted with "Ctrl-D". I think that those are both veru useful features. Do
they work in a  Unix environment ?

I think that we should preserve the keybinding consistencies across platforms by all means. Ctrl+z is undo and ctrl+shift+z is redo, furthermore ctrl+c is not cancel but is copy, etc. I think of adding Edit|Suspend command for example to provide the missing functionality. I will appreciate some help if discovering how this should work (maybe it is a signal, but whatever else you know would be helpful).

Another big problem is: Alt-X causes it to fall into an endless loop. BTW, vven
then I was able to switch to another screen and kill it, which proves that the
Cygwin compilation was already useful.

Again, this falls in the groups of problems which I can fix provided some help from you about finding how "screens" works.

-petar