Re: [vile] vile-9.8h

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [vile] vile-9.8h
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2012 07:12:22 -0400

On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 09:44:17PM +1000, Brendan O'Dea wrote:
> > gnome and kde both show icons, but they differ:  gnome reuses the
> > icon from the icon-theme in the panel (toolbar), while kde adapts
> > the window decoration (the icon in the corner).  Turns out that
> > kde's scaling up of that didn't look good, so I've a to-do item.
> >
> > fvwm honors icons - but
> >
> > fvwm of course has active icons, which xterm can do (as an option).
> > That's a miniature window which you can interact with.  A couple of
> > others can make a _static_ window to show what the window looked like
> > just before iconifying.  As I recall twm and icewm do that.  So does
> > Mac OS X.
>
> It appears that things have moved on in the handling of icons since I
> last looked, and that the icon hint which is set to the embedded xpm
> is probably ignored in favour of the svg matching the "Icon" entry in
> the .desktop file.  I'm including the following in the package, which
> should presumably satisfy most freedesktop.org window managers:
>
>   /usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps/vile.png
>   /usr/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/apps/vile.svg
>   /usr/share/applications/uxvile.desktop
>   /usr/share/applications/xvile.desktop

agreed.

(it seems that the .svg file is used by kde/gnome/lxde in preference
to the .png file)

fvwm uses the file in the pixmaps directory rather than the icons
directory while the window managers using icon themes ignore that
directory entirely. That's why I modified my configure script to
be able to install both concurrently.

Some (such as ctwm) don't appear to use the files, but rely on the
window-decoration to derive their desktop icons.

> I'm additionally including (and have been for a good while now) the
> Debian-specific:
>
>   /usr/share/menu/vile
>   /usr/share/menu/xvile
>
> both of which point to: