[vile] Can one ^X! direct into text being edited somehow?

From: Chris Green
Subject: [vile] Can one ^X! direct into text being edited somehow?
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2012 10:11:06 +0100

I want an easy way to insert today's date (or possibly another, I might
get the called command to pop up a calendar) into the text I'm editing.

Using ":r !date" is a bit clumsy as one has to exit and return to insert
mode.

The alternative "^X!date" puts the date into a separate buffer so,
again, is a bit clumsy if one simply wants the date inserted at the
point at which one is typing.

Is there a quick and easy way to do this or do I need to write a macro?
I guess a macro which does "<ESC>:r !date^Mi" isn't too bad.

--
Chris Green