[vile] memory usage

From: lists-vile
Subject: [vile] memory usage
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2010 16:31:22 -0400

I have plain text file of around 100meg (3.7 million lines) if I edit this
file with vile I noticed vile's resident set size is about 311megs (virtual
448megs), which xvile I've seen it goes as high as 650megs and really start
chewing into my swap area.

I've tested with a few other editors (mainly vi variants) and they seem to
require roughly half the memory as vile on these same large files.  I'm not
complaining, I'm just curious as to why this might be the case and if there
are any settings I should apply when working with these files to reduce the
memory footprint.  I've already disabled highlighting.

Thanks,
Wayne

I know these are large files and I don't usually need to edit them but
sometimes its much easier to navigate large log files with an editor
instead of 'more'.