Re: [vile] memory usage

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [vile] memory usage
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2010 17:21:17 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 2 Aug 2010, Paul Fox wrote:

thomas wrote:
> something like 40 bytes iirc).  Besides highlighting, the visual-matches
> feature is a performance hit.  Both of those apply lots of markup to the
> file.
>
> One of the things that I have in mind to work on (when 9.8's out) is
> to improve performance of the highlighting by reducing the amount of the
> file processed when highlighting it...

maybe a threshold above which highlighting and visual matches are simply
disabled would be useful?  i know that when i'm editing a file that's
very big, it's usually a log, or debug trace, and there's usually no
point in vile trying to color it in any case.

perhaps.

But what I had in mind is to add a bit to LINE's to note points at which the syntax filter gets back to the default state. Those lines could be used (except for special cases like the keyword filter) to restart filtering at a given point close to the current window, and terminate when the before/after markers coincide.

Offhand, the biggest file that I find syntax highlighting useful on is
ncurses' terminfo file, and vile's a little slow on that one.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net