Re: [vile] Fixed/flowed formatted text

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [vile] Fixed/flowed formatted text
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 08:09:34 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 27 Apr 2009, Paul van Tilburg wrote:

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply!

On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 06:45:26AM -0400, Thomas Dickey wrote:
On Mon, 27 Apr 2009, Paul van Tilburg wrote:
I propose to introduce a new format mode "flowed" next to the current
one which can be quite suitably called "fixed".  In the "flowed" format mode
a (right)margin is set, possibly reusing the wrapmargin property
that already exists, and text is automatically wrapped before that
margin.  For example

This sounds different from the display-only feature we discussed a year
ago (it would be simpler to implement, I think).

Now that I finally wrote it down, it is becoming clearer the role
that the wrapmargin setting plays in this.
It is indeed display-only in the "combined" case; however in case
"flowed" it should be a mostly matter of displaying but it should also
disable wrapping in the sense that vile inserts hard breaks (which is
unnecessary).

However - this would insert extra spaces to make vile wrap at certain
points.  Is that what you want?

I'm not sure what you mean by this?

I was reading the description as if it were to insert spaces into the file (since you mentioned nvi), rather than to adjust the display.

For the display only - that can be (hasn't been...) implemented by extending the code that I used to avoid splitting multi-column characters across the right-margin.

(btw, I just realized I didn't update my tar ball in my temp-directory
for 9.7o).

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net