Re: [vile] Fixed/flowed formatted text

From: Paul van Tilburg
Subject: Re: [vile] Fixed/flowed formatted text
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 13:35:33 +0200

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply!

On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 06:45:26AM -0400, Thomas Dickey wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Apr 2009, Paul van Tilburg wrote:
>> I propose to introduce a new format mode "flowed" next to the current
>> one which can be quite suitably called "fixed".  In the "flowed" format mode
>> a (right)margin is set, possibly reusing the wrapmargin property
>> that already exists, and text is automatically wrapped before that
>> margin.  For example
>
> This sounds different from the display-only feature we discussed a year
> ago (it would be simpler to implement, I think).

Now that I finally wrote it down, it is becoming clearer the role
that the wrapmargin setting plays in this.
It is indeed display-only in the "combined" case; however in case
"flowed" it should be a mostly matter of displaying but it should also
disable wrapping in the sense that vile inserts hard breaks (which is
unnecessary).

> However - this would insert extra spaces to make vile wrap at certain
> points.  Is that what you want?

I'm not sure what you mean by this?

Kind regards,
Paul