Re: [vile] An odd buglet with map!

From: Paul Fox
Subject: Re: [vile] An odd buglet with map!
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2008 09:43:54 -0400

thomas wrote:

 > > As I said the two map! commands do exactly what I want except for the
 > > case when I do 'r;' or 'r:', in the single character replace the original
 > > unmapped codes are used.  It had me a little confused for a while until
 > > I realised what was going on.
 >
 > I see that insert (i) and multiple-character replace (R) do mapping.
 > At the moment I'm not recalling any other single-character edits than "r".
 >
 > I'll change it to use mapped-keystroke unless I get some contrary feedback.

does "real" vi do this?  i tried it in vim, and i get a "recursive map"
error, though maybe there's config to get around that.

the only tricky part i can think of is, what do you do if the map
expands to more than one character.  :map works naturally in 'i' and 'R' modes
because those are multi-character inserts.  with 'r', how would you
restrict it to single character replacement?

paul
 paul fox, address@hidden (arlington, ma, where it's 31.3 degrees)