Re: [vile] An odd buglet with map!

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [vile] An odd buglet with map!
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2008 08:58:55 -0400

On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 11:09:19AM +0000, Chris G wrote:
> I just used a couple of map! commands to swap colon and semi-colon so
> that colon doesn't require SHIFT.  It worked perfectly *except* when
> doing a replace.
>
> I have the following in my .vilerc :-
>
>     ;
>     ;
>     ; Add a reStructuredText mode
>     ;
>     define-mode rst
>     map! ; :
>     map! : ;

hmm - it would be nice to make mapping per-majormode.
(just pointing out that mapping is global, otherwise one could put the "map!"
commands inside the following "~with" block)

>     ~with define-submode rst
>         suf '\.rst$'
>         shiftwidth=2
>     ~endwith
>
> The reStructuredText I'm writing has a *lot* of colons in it!
>
> As I said the two map! commands do exactly what I want except for the
> case when I do 'r;' or 'r:', in the single character replace the original
> unmapped codes are used.  It had me a little confused for a while until
> I realised what was going on.

I see that insert (i) and multiple-character replace (R) do mapping.
At the moment I'm not recalling any other single-character edits than "r".

I'll change it to use mapped-keystroke unless I get some contrary feedback.

--
Thomas E. Dickey <address@hidden>
http://invisible-island.net