Re: [vile] Wrong background colour in vile

From: cl
Subject: Re: [vile] Wrong background colour in vile
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 11:17:36 +0100

On Tue, Jul 18, 2006 at 11:06:50AM +0100, address@hidden wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 18, 2006 at 05:57:58AM -0400, Thomas Dickey wrote:
> > On Tue, 18 Jul 2006, address@hidden wrote:
> >
> > >I'm using vile on a new (to me) Linux shell service via an ssh
> > >connection in an rxvt window.
> > >
> > >After setting the vile.keywords file correctly I now get the colours I
> > >expect but all of the background is set black rather than being
> > >unchanged (pale grey).  How do I tell vile (or the terminal) not to
> > >change the background colour when the foreground colour is changed?
> >
> > It sounds as if the terminfo ($TERM) that you're using doesn't have the
> > features that vile is looking for to implement "default" color.  That
> > would be (using infocmp to look) something like
> >
> >     op=\E[39;49m,
> >
> Is that the terminfo on the remote system?  I'm using exactly the same X
> display (server) and terminal (rxvt on Solaris) at the 'viewing' end for
> both the old system that works and the new system that doesn't.
>
> Running 'infocmp' on the remote system in my rxvt window I get (along with
> lots more of course):-
>
>     op=\E[39;49m, rc=\E8, rev=\E[7m, ri=\EM, rin=\E[%p1%dT,
>
> so it looks OK.
>
> I may have some other things to check on though as my .vilerc file
> doesn't seem to be being picked up at the moment.  I'll do some more
> checks.

I'm being silly!  The problem isn't on this system (which is also new
to me) but on the BSD system where I had trouble getting vile to
build.

On that system there isn't an 'infocmp' command.  There is terminfo
but I can't see any tool to extract terminal settings from the
terminfo data.

--
Chris Green (address@hidden)