uracoli-devel

Re: [uracoli-devel] Get Windows users locked out from Pypi ?

From: Daniel Thiele
Subject: Re: [uracoli-devel] Get Windows users locked out from Pypi ?
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2012 12:21:45 +0200

Hi Axel,
Exactly that is the point. How do I extract tar.gz on Windows XP
without installing just for this purpose a tool or a tool chain
that does this job. Maybe Python can extract tar.gz by a distributed
module.

Is Windows 7 able to handle tar.gz out of the box?

Windows does not handle gz natively. You will need a dedicated tool. I'm using 7-zip. Don't know why they are not distributing in a format that both worlds (or even better: all worlds) of OSs understand.

If you do not like external tools, use your python installation:
>>> import tarfile
>>> tar=tarfile.open("pyserial-2.6.tar.gz")
>>> tar.extractall()
>>> tar.close()

best regards
Daniel

The charme of PIP that I see is, that we could let
install uracoli packages like sniffer, sterm or
wibohost in the same way.

1. download the tar.gz
2. extract

Exactly that is the point. How do I extract tar.gz on Windows XP
without installing just for this purpose a tool or a tool chain
that does this job. Maybe Python can extract tar.gz by a distributed
module.

Is Windows 7 able to handle tar.gz out of the box?

btw: no need for pywin32 or anything.
Ok, that is good to know, I'll try that on a fresh Windows.

Cheers, Axel