uracoli-devel

[uracoli-devel] Get Windows users locked out from Pypi ?

From: Axel Wachtler
Subject: [uracoli-devel] Get Windows users locked out from Pypi ?
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2012 06:31:08 +0200

Hallo all,

I just tried to install pyserial on a fesh Windows XP, just to verify
the installation description in the uracoli packages.

Formerly they distributed some msi or exe installers for your python version. Now there are just tar.gz files on http://pypi.python.org.

It turned out, that there is yet another new Python Package installer,
named PIP (coming as a tar.gz) So googling further brought up that
you need easy_install in order to install PIP .... I went to this
page ... it comes as a tar.gz too!

To escape from this endless loop, you will need to install MinGW or Cygwin / (these are really huge packages) or unpack the tar.gz
on a Linux box and copy the files to the Windows box.

This renders all attempts of a lean and mean setup description
for Windows users useless.

Knows anybody a straight and direct way to get the packages installed?

Cheers, Axel

PS: Is there a MAC-user-typical way to install Python + Pypi packages
(I mean without finding a way to start a hidden terminal programm) ?