Re: tramp-gvfs: parsing issues when using locale

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: tramp-gvfs: parsing issues when using locale
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2015 09:58:57 +0200

Jürgen Hötzel <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Michael,

Hi Jürgen,

> i just tried the new (Gnome 3.18) google-drive backend using
> tramp-gvfs.
>
> It fails to parse "gvfs-info" output because of my de_DE.utf8 locale.
> Example output is:
>
> Attribute:
> standard::type: 2
> standard::is-symlink: FALSE
> standard::icon: folder
>
> instead of the expected:
>
> attributes:
> standard::type: 2
> standard::is-symlink: FALSE
> standard::icon: folder
>
> IMO tramp-gvfs should use C-Locale in order to avoid this problems
> (patch enclosed). Any objections against applying this?

Please do. Better would be to use "en_US.utf8" or "C.utf8". See also
`tramp-get-remote-locale' in tramp-sh.el.

Furthermore, pls don't set it globally in `process-environment'. I did
something similar in tramp-sh.el; afterwards people were annoyed not to
see their preferred date format in dired, for example. Maybe you could
set it like "env LC_ALL=... LANGUAGE=... gvfs-info" in
`tramp-gvfs-handle-file-attributes'.

Btw, I'm curious what you plan with google-drive backend and
tramp-gvfs.el. A while ago I was thinking about adding a "gd" method,
but there was no time / not enough motivation yet to start with.