Re: tramp-gvfs: parsing issues when using locale

From: Jürgen Hötzel
Subject: Re: tramp-gvfs: parsing issues when using locale
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2015 21:59:09 +0200

Hi Michael,

On Wed, Oct 14, 2015 at 10:55 AM, Michael Albinus <address@hidden> wrote:
How do you access the files then via Tramp? I thought there must be at
least a proper connection method, say "gd". Then you access via
"/gd:address@hidden:/0B9J_DkziBDRFTj1TPam9kbnc/0B9J_GlyfBDRBHj1TRWL9khrc" or

Add "google-drive" to `tramp-gfs-methods'. Then you can access it via
"/google-drive:address@hidden:/0B9J_DkziBDRFTj1TPam9kbnc/0B9J_GlyfBDRBHj1TRWL9khrc"

You can also access it via

"/gd:address@hidden:/id1/id2/some-title" (example from the artice below).

i.e. the symlink. The problem is: You don't know the symlink from the directory-listing:
You need to call gvfs-info on the blob-id to get the symlink name.

> The only problem is the non-posix-semantic of
> Google Drive paths
> (https://debarshiray.wordpress.com/2015/09/13/google-drive-and-gnome-what-is-a-volatile-path/):

Yes, when I thought about a google drive Tramp connection method, I read
this article as well. Interesting.

> Each file is identified by a unique blob-id and not by its path. So
> users justs see the blob-id's in directory listings.
> Tramp-gvfs could use the file-attribute
>
> display name: IMAG0260.jpg
>
> (like its done in the gnome file browser Nautilus) to translate
> between display-names and the blob-id. What do you think about it?

Using display name would be OK. Play with tramp-gvfs.el; there's plenty
of time before Tramp 2.2.13 will be released. I plan it for the end of
the year.

OK.

Regards, Jürgen