tlf-devel

Re: [Tlf-devel] v1.4 topics

From: Nate Bargmann
Subject: Re: [Tlf-devel] v1.4 topics
Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2018 05:35:34 -0600

* On 2018 04 Nov 04:26 -0600, Thomas Beierlein wrote:
> Am Fri, 2 Nov 2018 23:21:57 -0500
> schrieb Nate Bargmann <address@hidden>:
>
> > * On 2018 02 Nov 12:30 -0500, Thomas Beierlein wrote:
> > > P.S.: The 'todo' list now:
> > >
> > > * allow vertical resizing of tlf (more room for cluster messages)
> >
> > May as well allow horizontal resizing.  It would require calculating
> > the anchor of some screen blocks like the score window from the right
> > margin, I think.
> >
> That sure would be helpful, but is MUCH more work. So I would plan it
> for a later release. I fear it will need a complete rewrite of the
> display related code. At the moment display related stuff is
> scattered over most of the files.

I'm just trying to be forward thinking!  ;-)

> > One few for the pile:  Accept master.scp, mastersx.scp, masusve.scp,
> > and masterss.scp as well as callmaster (case ignored) for the Super
> > Check Partial files.  Perhaps read them in the order listed and use
> > the first one found?  For now I download the one I want and symlink
> > callmaster to it, which works just as well!
> >
> Hmm, ok. But better than hardcode that names (maybe there will be
> others in later time) how about an keyword CALLMASTER= to name your
> preference with a default to cty.dat if not set?

Whoa!  Wrong file, Tom.  cty.dat is the country file, not the Super
Check Partial file.  I'm discussing the latter.

> > Consider requiring a key press on the first screens when Tlf is
> > started without a log file.  They often close too quickly to read all
> > the details.  Subsequent runs can be as it is now.  An alternative
> > might be to have an option keyword (yet another!) in logcfg.dat
> > specifying a timeout in seconds for each screen where 0 would require
> > a key press and negative would disable them.
> >
> Well there is the -n switch already. But I know some of the messages
> will only appear once. So a confirmation for any onetime changes may be
> appropriate.

I note that '-n' does:

       -n     Start without packet/cluster.

in the manual page.  Does it do more?  I've not tried it as I rarely use
the cluster functionality.

> P.S.: The actual (unsorted) 'todo' list now (Hope I did not forget
> something):
>
> * allow vertical resizing of tlf (more room for cluster messages)
> * drop 'scan' menu with noise bridge, panorama scan and smeter
>   display (It did not work for a long time and I think no one is
>   using it)
> * Handling multiplier aliases (see thread started by Nate in June)
> * automatically switch back to 'Run' mode from "grab spot" after QSO
> * switch to hamlib's freq_t for frequencies ( and maybe factor out
>   hamlib stuff to a separate module )
> * Do a complete rewrite of display related code in the long term to
>   allow vertical AND horizontal resizing.
> * Allow other callmaster databases (hardcoded or by CALLMASTER= keyword)
> * Rework startup display for better readability by user

Looks like quite enough, actually!

73, Nate

Web: http://www.n0nb.us  GPG key: D55A8819  GitHub: N0NB