Re: [Tinycc-devel] x86-64 port

From: shinichiro . h
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] x86-64 port
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2008 09:10:43 +0900

> Please consider to contribute to our GIT repo directly.
> http://repo.or.cz/w/tinycc.git

Thanks for the suggestion.

I pushed two patches. The first one introduces ElfW macros to
encapsulate the difference between Elf32 and Elf64, and REL and RELA.
The second one was just copied pieces related to x86-64 from my
/usr/include/elf.h. I checked this two patch don't break x86 TCC.

http://repo.or.cz/w/tinycc.git?a=commit;h=e9cbea68479f714c27a522931fc579e0db1bd522
http://repo.or.cz/w/tinycc.git?a=commit;h=3531962e81ff89415097b9f9654bf15affa35882

I'm new to git. I hope I didn't do something wrong.

Let me confirm if I understand the process you are suggesting
correctly. I'll continue to split my patch into several pieces and
push them. Then, I'll report my changes in this list. Finally, you'll
merge my changes into the main branch. Is this process correct?

> If you want I can add you as "project member" so you can work more
> undisturbed on say, a "x86-64" topic branch.

To be honest, I don't understand the benefit to have my own branch in
the remote git repository for now. Maybe the mob branch and local
branches are sufficient for now. Once I understand git and development
process of here well, I may ask you to give the account.

> - Try to avoid casts if it's just to get rid of gcc-warnings.
>    We'd rather use a gcc-switch to disable such warnings, for now.

I see. I'll withdraw unnecessary casts.

>    Also try to separate such and other formal changes into their
>    own patches. It makes it easier for other people to follow your
>    actual work.  With GIT it is painless to make many small commits.

Sure.

> - in tcc_delete: free the member before the structure :)
>      tcc_free(s1->jmp_table);
>      tcc_free(s1);

Oops. Thanks for catching this.